Kigali Genocide Memorial Museum – A place for remembrance and learning
The Kigali Genocide Memorial includes three permanent exhibitions, the largest of which documents the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi. There is also a children’s memorial and an exhibition on the history of genocidal violence around the world. The education centre, gardens, and Genocide Archive of Rwanda contribute to a meaningful tribute to those who perished, and provide a powerful educational experience for visitors.
The Kigali Genocide Memorial is the final resting place for more than 250,000 victims of the Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda. It honours the memory of the more than one million Rwandans killed in 1994 through education and peace building.
The memorial has five primary objectives:
- It provides a dignified place of burial for victims of the Genocide against the Tutsi
- Inform and educate visitors about the causes, implementation and consequences of the genocide, and other genocides throughout history.
- Teach visitors about what we can do to prevent future genocides.
- To provide a documentation centre to record evidence of the genocide, testimonies of genocide survivors and details of genocide victims.
- Also provide support for survivors, in particular orphans and widows.
- 8:00am – 5:00pm(last entrance is at 4:00pm)
- 7 Days a week(except last Saturday of each month, on Christmas and New year)
On the last Saturday of each month, the memorial is open from 1:00pm to 5:00pm due to Umuganda community work.
The Kigali Genocide Memorial is a guided experience. Visitors can choose to be guided by one of the staff witnesses or purchase the KGM digital guide which provides an audio-visual tour of the memorial.
The Kigali Genocide Memorial is located in Gisozi, ten minutes drive from the centre of town. The easiest way to reach the memorial is by car or taxi.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Here you can find information about visiting the Kigali Genocide Memorial as well as booking forms for individual and group tours. You can also find details about what to expect and useful tips as you prepare for your visit.